Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a private hospital in London for surgery on his hip, the royal palace said on Monday.
A brief statement from Buckingham Palace said the 96-year-old prince was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Monday afternoon. He will undergo planned surgery on his hip on Tuesday.
Other details were not immediately released. “Further updates will be issued when appropriate,” the statement said.
The queen’s husband is known to be active and robust for his age, but since August 2017 he is no longer taking part in public events on a regular basis.
Prince Philip has suffered a few health scares in recent years. He was hospitalized last year and in 2012 for treatment of an infection, and he underwent a procedure in 2011 after he was found to have a blocked coronary artery.
(Copyright 2017 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.)