Singer Prince died of accidental fentanyl overdose, coroner finds

Photo of author


Pop superstar Prince, who was found dead at his home in Minnesota in April, died of an overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl, according to the results of an autopsy. The death has been ruled an accident.

A report released by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office on Thursday showed that Prince had self-administered fentanyl, which is used as a pain reliever. Fentanyl toxicity was listed as the cause of death and the manner was ruled an accident.

Other details about the circumstances of Prince’s death were not immediately disclosed, and an investigation by the Carver County Sheriff’s Office is still ongoing.

“Under Minnesota law, all other medical examiner data is considered private or nonpublic data,” the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said in a brief statement. “The Medical Examiner’s Office is unable to make any further comments about its death investigation of Prince Nelson.”

Prince, who was one of the world’s best-selling artists of all time, was found unresponsive inside an elevator at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, which is just southwest of Minneapolis, on the morning of April 21. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info:

Images Courtesy of DepositPhotos