A finance director plays a vital role in a company’s success. And if you’re hiring for this position, it’s crucial to ask the right finance director interview questions to receive accurate insight into the candidate’s skill and expertise. You’ll then be able to hire the individual most suited for the position. These could also help if you’re looking into financial management positions.
Finance Director Interview Questions About Previous Experience
Part of an interview for a finance director should include questions about the prospective employee’s experience. This gives you an idea of how long they’ve been in the field and even how they’ve handled issues in the past. Examples include:
- How long have you been a finance manager?
- How long have you been in finance?
- Have you ever experienced a significant issue as a financial manager? How did you handle the problem?
- Have you ever had an employee who wasn’t carrying their weight? How did you handle it?
- What are roles have you taken on in finance?
- Throughout your time as a finance manager, what do you consider your greatest success?
- What’s the largest budget you’ve had to work with?
- What’s the process you used to handle budgeting at previous businesses?
- How would your previous employer describe you?
- What is your biggest weakness? What is your greatest strength?
Finance Director Interview Questions About Career Goals
Another essential aspect of an interview for a financial manager should include financial director interview questions related to a person’s career goals. This helps you determine if a prospective candidate has ambition. These will help you get an idea:
- What are your goals as a finance manager in general?
- What motivates you as a financial director?
- What skills do you feel like you should improve on?
- How do you plan on improving your skills?
- Do you have a 5-year plan? Do you have a 10-year plan?
- What do you do when you receive constructive criticism?
- Do you have a plan to improve on your weaknesses?
- Do you plan to change any of your current processes?
- What do you want to accomplish as a financial manager?
- Do you plan to further your education?
Finance Director Interview Questions About Your Business
A finance director needs to benefit your company specifically. Therefore, some of your finance director interview questions should relate to your business specifically. Here are some examples of finance director interview questions to ask that relate to your company:
- What do you plan to do for our company in the first year?
- Why are you interested in our business?
- What have you heard about our company?
- What do you plan to achieve with our business in the next five years?
- What do you think you can bring to our company in this leadership role?
- If you have a challenging client with us, how do you plan to have it?
- What do you feel is the biggest strength you can bring to our company?
- Why do you think you’re the best candidate for this job?
- What challenges do you expect to have at our company?
- How do you plan to measure your success with us?
Finance Director Skills List
Specific skills stand out as beneficial as a finance manager. These qualities make a financial director best suited for the position.
Firstly, while it’s not a skill, you should hire a financial manager who has a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in either finance or accounting. In addition, any financial director you hire needs to have computer literacy skills and an understanding of standard financial management programs.
Additionally, when looking for a finance director, make sure they have strong analytic skills. This person will need to evaluate the financial status of your business and make solid decisions when necessary.
To summarize, these should be the key points you consider:
- Strong math and analytic skills
- Computer literacy
- Proper educational background
Finance Director Job Listings
Fortunately, the Internet makes connecting financial directors and employers easier than ever. You can find positions by searching for keywords like a financial manager or financial director jobs in the area. And if you’re a business owner, you can post an ad. Some sites to look into include:
When you ask the right questions and carefully vet prospective candidates, you can find a person who’ll properly handle the financial end of your business. Additionally, if you’re looking for a position, you can better prep for an interview by knowing common finance director interview questions.