Greta Van Susteren, who left Fox News last year and went on to join MSNBC, has been let go by the channel after less than 6 months. It comes after her new show failed to secure a significant amount of viewers.
“I am out at MSNBC,” Van Susteren wrote in a message on her Twitter account. She provided no further details about the circumstances of her departure, but her husband John Coale told CNN that the anchor had been ‘let go’ by the channel.
“MSNBC and Greta Van Susteren have decided to part ways,” MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a memo to staff. “Greta is a well-regarded television veteran and one of only a few broadcasters who can say they’ve hosted shows at all three major cable news networks. We are grateful to her and wish her the best.”
Ari Melber, who is MSNBC’s chief legal correspondent and host of “The Point” on weekends, will replace Van Susteren as the permanent host of the 6 p.m. hour.
Van Susteren abruptly left Fox News in September 2016 after hosting her own show for more than 14 years. “Fox has not felt like home to me for a few years and I took advantage of the clause in my contract which allows me to leave now,” she wrote on Facebook at the time.
Months later, MSNBC announced that Van Susteren was joining the channel and would debut her show “For the Record with Greta” at 6 p.m. ET on January 9. But her show failed to secure a significant amount of viewers, even though other shows on the left-leaning channel were seeing an increase in ratings.
(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.)